Monday, August 30, 2010

DIY Clean House

Is that? Is that MY kitchen? Yeeeeeesh...Mom, you may want to look away. Well, I finished training at work and now have a regular schedule, I've dropped my younger sibling off at the parents house, so maybe now I should take care of this bio-hazard. Top goal for today: kitchen clean enough to eat in.

My kitchen and I have a sordid history together, as you can see, it is a hallway. A hallway with a sink and a stove about about 2 feet of counter space total (some would generously call it a galley kitchen). If I want to cook, it has to be clean. It has to be clean if anything is going to go on in that kitchen. You leave one plate on the counter and you can't do anything else.

This means my kitchen is either immaculate or a disaster area. Usually not this much of a disaster though, packing up to move out has been creeping into all areas of the apartment, as you can probably tell by the boxes. Which is one of the things that's been keeping me out of there lately, even if I do clean the kitchen, it's still gonna be crowded and messy.

But at least it won't give me food poisoning. Or, as it seams, maybe it will encourage the pill-bugs to stop using the place as a grave yard. Seriously, piles of them. Everywhere. EVERYWHERE. What did they do? Form a little pill-bug cult? Don't drink the kool-aid little dudes!

Spinach was another thing I found in places it should not be. I always make a huge mess it seems whenever I cook spinach. Or don't cook spinach since it went into a salad. There is no real explanation how it got into ever nook and cranny of the stove-top. If there is, I suspect it has to do with the pill-bugs.

But in the end, I persisted. Today was a good day. Not only did I clean the kitchen, but I discovered that you can cut lettuce heads like an onion. It's easiest to do this with iceberg, but I also got it to work with the romaine, the trick is to work from the leafy side down to the steam.

I also fixed one of my portfolios, did some more packing and made some salad dressing.

And look at that kitchen! Its...still a hallway with a sink. But a clean hallway. Never mind how disaster-rific the rest of the apartment behind the camera lens is. That's a challenge to mount tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. M. Night ShamalamadamascramaAugust 31, 2010 at 6:14 AM

    So the cycle has come back to immaculate now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I'm hoping I'll practice some self-discipline to keep it there!

    ReplyDelete