Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Pillowcase Skirt

Oh my. I forgot to smile.

It's not a very smiley day here, it's that sort of miserably humid hot that makes you sweat just standing still. This summer has been one of the few times I have been glad women's dress designs for the last 10-15 years or so have not typically included sleeves, even in the winter. It means I can get away with just wearing a sleeveless shell with this skirt at work and still come off looking professional!

The real star of this outfit is the skirt though, which I made out of a pillowcase after reading Chic Steals post on how to diy this style of skirt. I mostly followed her instructions, but I used this 6" wide elastic I found at Kathy's Lace & Elastic Outlet instead of regular waistband elastic and made regular tucks along the elastic/pillowcase seam instead of using the stretch of the elastic to ruffle the fabric like in the original tutorial.

I love love love love this skirt. It has been the best thing in my wardrobe for those hot sticky days when I have to go to work. It also, because of the unusually wide waistband, looks like a dress. Plus six inch wide elastic does wonders for your tummy rolls. I'm in the middle of making another one and will be done as soon as I find the right elastic for it. Curse you Wal*Mart and your driving other fabric stores out of business.

The best thing about this skirt is I can pair it with a long sleeve shirt and cardigan in cooler weather. I like multi-seasonal clothes!

2 comments:

  1. That is exceptionally cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was super easy to make. My sewing machine even co-operated the whoooole time!

    ReplyDelete