Thursday, June 23, 2011

A War in the Stars

I've been working on a concept for disposable art. Rather, recyclable art. I've not gotten much beyond this:




If you can't figure out the theme, you are obviously not American. Or I'm a terrible artist. One of the two.

Any way, the idea is to create art that is relatively inexpensive and disposable. Because how many toxic oil paintings do we really need persisting in the world? I mean, yeah, we could probably learn from a few more DaVincis, but for most artists, well. We're probably not all going to make a cultural impact, which means in the grand scheme of history, we're just creating a lot of garbage.

Which bothers me like a fly that won't land when I'm trying to sleep.

5 comments:

  1. I showed these to Dad on deviantART, his comment on your the gun was it looked like a hair dryer! :D
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. All hair driers should have triggers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Which bothers me like a fly that won't land when I'm trying to sleep."

    You should get a cat. It will catch it and eat it.

    -Anna

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then I would have a cat that is hunting when I'm trying to sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have that internal struggle between art and creating wasted items. I think I get where you're coming from.

    I have been very interested in your disposable art aesthetic as it evolves - I still have one your cardboard pieces from a couple years ago! And I also know that some day in the distant future if I want to rid myself of it I can recycle it. Or someone will find it in my stash after I pass away and hopefully recycle it for me. Yup.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete