Saturday, September 11, 2010

Suddenly, pigeons! Thousands of them!

One of the things I remember about living up here is that 'round 1998-ish there weren't any pigeons. Like, at all.

Now it's like they've moved in an formed a tiny little bird mafia ala the Goodfeathers.

Seeing so many pigeons around it's interesting to note how many different feather variations there are on these birds. Bert's pigeon friends were always the gray stripped variety with the multicolored heads. Which, up until they came to Houghton County, were the only sorts I was familiar with.

Brown ones, white ones, black ones. Russian ones that coo gruffly at you as you walk past them. As exciting as discovering pigeons can swim, I wonder why there are pigeons in the Keweenaw now. And why do they like pink and teal houses?

In other news, I'm dismantling my computer tonight to move, and there is not internet at my new place yet. It will be awhile before I post again.

1 comment:

  1. Sweetie, there have always been pigeons in the Keweenaw - they just collect where people feed them. The old library in Houghton, under the street cover, had terrible problems with them and their "calling cards".
    M

    ReplyDelete