Monday, October 25, 2010

At 12

Tonight I realized something that would make my 12-year old self stick her fingers in her ears and scream "LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR LIAR" loud enough to be heard the next state over. My mother doesn't even know what I'm about to say and I can already hear the smugness of her thoughts from 500 miles away.

I didn't have enough chores when I was little.

The thing is, you see, I am still trying to figure out how to effectively run a household by myself. While even at a young age I was aware that vacuuming didn't magically happen, building the habit of doing it regularly myself has been challenging. That along with doing the dishes, sweeping, mopping, cleaning the bathroom, timing a meal so that all the elements finish cooking a)when I get hungry and b) at the same time, keeping a grocery list, grocery shopping and heck, even remembering to take the trash out weekly.

I've been living on my own for roughly 3 years now and I still don't have the hang of it. Dishes still pile up in the sink for an unacceptable amount of time. It's not that I don't know how to do these things, its more that I never really learned time management like I probably should have when I was in high school. I still don't have the self discipline to go to bed at a reasonable hour, and I wonder if I ever will.

One thing is for sure, life will be heck for my children should I ever have any.

2 comments:

  1. M. Night ShamalamadamascramaOctober 25, 2010 at 11:11 PM

    I, on the other hand, do the dishes for me and my roommates. It's this unwritten deal we have worked out - I let them use my dishes, they let me clean them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm still trying to get past "shave weekly",much less vacuum floor, and i've been on my own for almost eight years now. my problem is that i don't sweat the little things(to an unhealthy point).

    -william

    ReplyDelete