Thursday, May 17, 2012

Adventure Day: Nine Days Without Coffee

Alright, so not exactly the photo essay of the awesome places I explore I usually give you but it was an adventure. As stated in my post "Caffeine Withdrawal" I gave up caffeine for nine days because, well, I was having problems. It went a little something like this:

Day 1: Well. This isn't so bad. No symptoms as of yet. Maybe I was over-attributing my headaches to the coffee. It could have been stress. Oh well, I'll just keep going since it's probably a healthy idea to detox the caffeine in my system anyways.

Day 2: AAAAAAAAAAAAA! The PAIN. This is the MOTHER OF ALL HEADACHES EVER. WHY? WHY! WHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHY!!!!!!!

Day 3: I hurt everywhere. What the &$#%! was I thinking? Who does this to themselves? Me. That's who. I'm a &$#%! idiot.

Day 4: Silent weeping when I realize my pain relief medicine has caffeine in it.

Day 5: I lost this day somewhere. I seriously went to sleep Tuesday and woke up Thursday or something. No idea what happened to Wednesday. None.

Day 6: I should clean the kitchen. No. Wait. The bathroom. LET'S GO FOR A WALK! My laundry needs to be done. OOO! KITTY! Hey! What's that shiny thing? LOOK AT THIS MAGNIFICENT ROCK. LOOK AT IT! Did I leave the stove on? (The answer was yes, yes I did...derp)

Day 7: Woke up, walked down stairs, took nap on couch. Woke up, ate bowl of cereal, took another nap. Woke up, watched TV, took nap. Woke up, went to bed.

Day 8: 36 hours 21 minutes and 30 seconds until I can have coffee again...36 hours 21 minutes and 29 seconds until I can have coffee again...36 hours 21 minutes and 28 seconds until I can have coffee again...

Day 9: Maybe if I play video games all day I won't notice HOW SLOW TIME SEEMS TO BE PASSING

Day 10: COFFEE MY LOVE! Let us never be apart again <3

I never want to go through that again. Never. It was awful. The most surprising thing is that even when the symptoms of withdrawal subsided, I still wanted coffee. I did not realize how much a part of my life the drink had become, often substituting a large cup of java for meals or using it as a motivational tool to get something done like chores or homework. Even as I sit here typing this I am being kept company by a travel mug of coffee.

Although I will probably never quite again for anything short of religious or medical reasons, I am moderating my intake of caffeine now. I'm giving up the Diet Coke permanently along with most other caffeinated sodas (the exception being Taco Bell's Baja Blast Mountain Dew because, delicious) and am only brewing one 32  oz pot of regular a day with decaf coffee making itself a new staple in my pantry. I learned a lot about myself during this experiment and probably a lot about addiction.

No comments:

Post a Comment