Saturday, May 26, 2012

Technical Difficulties and Subtle Sexism

So once I get my camera and computer on speaking terms again, I will make up for the lack of posts this week.

In the mean time I thought I'd share with you a great example of what I mean when I talk about the subtle sexism that permeates our society. And since a picture is worth a thousand words, here's a two thousand word essay on the subject:

Japanese Cover to a Star Wars book

At first glance, you're probably thinking "what sexism?" There are two Jedi here prepared for battle and the woman (Mara) is actually wearing clothes. But...

Altered cover submitted to Escher Girls by nelc
Would you look at that. Suddenly Mara looks more like she's ready for battle and less like she's dancing. And Luke when from Jedi master to cheesecake. Huh.

This along with many others of terrible portrayal of women in media can be found on Escher Girls, a tumblr dedicated to "...female characters in impossible or ridiculous poses or with disturbing anatomy because the artist needed to show teh sexy."

No comments:

Post a Comment