Wednesday, February 9, 2011

You know you're an Artist when...

You know you're an artist when:

You keep your table salt with your watercolors

All your clothes, from your grubbies to your Sunday best, are paint clothes

You don't even know how paint got on your Sunday clothes

2/3 of your household budget goes to art supplies

Given a choice between groceries and art supplies, you pick art supplies every time

Same can be said about medication

You're a vegan. For budget reasons.

When asked about your work, you most often say "I like the image to speak for itself." This is because you're more comfortable expressing yourself visually rather than verbally.

You have 17 pens you love an care for like children. And if someone ever wanted to use them to write a cheque, you would end them.

You love color, but most of your wardrobe is black

7 comments:

  1. I know I am an artist because:

    1. My home reeks of charcoal fixative and I strangely don't care/am still conscious.

    2. I own at least two berets.

    3. When asked about my work, I tell people that I like the image to speak for its self because I am completely introverted and dislike communicating with people... unless, of course, those people are cats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. These are also signs of artistry.

    Except you really should use fixative in a more ventilated area. You're going to end up melting your brain stem. Or use a carbon mask.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always spray my drawings outside. I think my problem is that I bring them in before the odor has completely departed. I was exaggerating, the odor really isn't that intense. I just don't want them to be outside in the snow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah. Yes. Leaving work in the snow is bad.

    I tend to snap to whenever someone sounds like they're improperly using spray media (paint, glue, fixative, etc.) A lot of the graffiti artists from the 80s are now in long-term care facilities because of fumes. The smell is the only sense directly connected to the brain, which is why Egyptians could pull it out the nose before embalming. If you can still smell it, it means the chemicals are still air-born.

    Maybe you could leave them to dry in an area of the house you don't frequent? If you have multiple bathrooms, setting one aside for art and running the fan might be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. The best artist is always a smart artist. I never knew that about the Egyptians and I will definitely take your advice. Thanks a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? I always think of that as common knowledge because it seemed to come up in every educational cartoon ever. Of course, I watched impossibly large amounts of t.v. when I was a kid.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm not sure how you would put this into a, "You know you are.." but I got this 175 prismacolor pencil set for Christmas, that I only just got to use for the first time. I spent the majority of last night drooling over the 20 or so shades of gray as well as all of the other desaturated colors. I like to think that's because I'm an art student and not just a really boring person.

    ReplyDelete