Monday, February 28, 2011

New Artist Crush Mondays: Salina Trevino

Wow! You all have some great artist crush suggestions. I'm set for a few months at least! Thanks to everyone who gave me their suggestions.

This week's artist crush is the younger sister of previous artist crush Stephanie Rabbit. Just so you know that I have no problems with nepotism I guess. Anyways! On with the crush!

Stay in Touch by Salina Trevino

Salina is one of the many artist crushes I have done that I know in real life. She is one of my younger brother's friends, and I once lent her a swimsuit (that is so going to be my "I knew them before they were big" story for her). She is also one of the artists who's career I am somewhat jealous of because it is what I thought I wanted when I started pursuing the arts (and very much no longer what I want now). It is interesting to note that recently I have been meeting and thinking of people who's academic and professional careers are real world examples of something I once day-dreamed about.

I first came into contact with Salina's work when I was thinking about applying to MCAD. She was already a student there and offered to share her admissions portfolio with me as I started working to get mine together. This was a bad move on my part, because after seeing her portfolio I had major doubts about my own artistic abilities. Particularly after seeing this environmental study.

Fast forward to graduation. Salina is now working as a comic artist in Minnesota. (Is it me or does the Great Lakes area seem to produce a lot of comic artists? It seems like there are a lot both in the US and Canada in the area.) She recently completed a Graphic Novel Artist in residency in Florida, with some amazing results.

It's been fun watching Salina develop artistically, unlike most of the artists I know, I see her infrequently so it's not like watching a steady day-to-day growth, but instead viewing marked changes every time I see her. Many of us who start at art school rely heavily on the influences of Japanese comics and cartoons in our style, which is true of both myself and Ms. Trevino. We ended up going through the crisis of style at a similar time, where our professors (in all their infinite wisdom) told us it was time to develop our own drawing styles. When she came home for Christmas one year, it was fun to discuss this loss and growth of artistic identity with her.

While the influence of the Japanese comics and cartoons I think is still very present in both of our styles, Salina has developed it into something that is uniquely her own. Seeing her work now, it is so very her. Whimsical, dreamy and beautiful, Salina Trevino's art never fails to make me imagine a world less ugly.

Links!
Salina Trevino's Blog: http://salinatrevino.blogspot.com/
devianART: http://moonie-dreamer.deviantart.com/
Portfolio Site: http://yourprofolio.com/salinatrevino

On another note: I'm planning to do some posts that I've had stewing for awhile this week, so be on the lookout for them! Tomorrow's post: Rave Reviews for The Doom Patrol

No comments:

Post a Comment