Monday, January 17, 2011

New Artist Crush: Martye Allen

Sculpture by Martye Allen

Martye Allen is one of the artists featured in the gallery where I work.  I had the good fortune this fall to meet her when I swung by her studio on a car trip to pick up some new work.

Allen is primarily a ceramics artist who's subject matter is largely north-woods animals. Both her pottery and sculpture work always look like they are illustrating some sort of story. Which is what I enjoy about it. I am, on the whole, not usually very interested in clay work as most of it tends toward the functional or the abstract (or the functionally abstract) which is not my cup of tea.

The other thing that I cannot convey to you in words or pictures is the touch-ability of Allen's work. When I was in her studio picking new pieces for the gallery, my fingers were on everything, petting, holding and resting my hand on all the clay animals. I find there is a life to her sculpture that is not unlike that of an animal I think.

Link!
http://www.martyeallen.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment