Friday, January 7, 2011

Random Word Generated Fridays

Today's word: Team

I do a lot of things better as a team. Or maybe more surprisingly as a team then alone.

Recently Director Ansley returned from maternity leave at the gallery where I work. She's only there two days a week so far, with her little bundle of joy, but already I feel an improvement in my work environment. Everything isn't hanging over my head alone, and I've got someone else to bounce ideas off of. There is a stark comparison between working as part of a team and working alone. Enough that if I have a choice, I would never work by myself again.

I also recently collaborated on an art project with Stephanie (this week's artist crush). The results of our teamwork I think are more than either one of us would have dreamed of doing alone. Also, perhaps crazier and more dangerous, but I will report more on that later.

Running a household as a team, with my whole family as when I was growing up or just with my brother like over this summer is a lot easier too. And more enjoyable. It is easier to find the motivation to cook and clean when I'm not just doing it for myself. I cooked a lot more when my brother was around than I do now. (Although I did finally make up that venison roast you left this autumn, mom) Alone, I tend to eat a lot more packaged foods or half-made things.

Even though I seem to naturally seek a solitary existence, one of the values I have come to have as I gain more experience is that of the working with and alongside other people. Being able to build with another person always results in a project richer and grander than we could have done alone and I enjoy it.

*For my grandparents to brag about* My press release for this show caught enough attention over at the Daily Mining Gazette that the gallery was able to land the cover of this week's "Happenings". No, I don't have a copy. Sorry. But these writing exercises are paying off!

No comments:

Post a Comment