Friday, January 21, 2011

Random Word Generated Friday: Flesh

This weeks random word: Flesh

Flesh is one of the words I use to describe things in my head, but rarely use when speaking to other people in the same context. In my mind, I use "flesh" and "meat" almost interchangeably. Which may not sound bad until you realize that most of the context is in cooking. This puts me in the realm of  "grilling flesh" and being a "flesh and potatoes" kind of person. Which sounds rather...cannibalistic. You can see how the phrasing in my head might change when talking to people.

So how does someone start using the world "flesh" to describe something they eat?

Frans Snyders. Market Stall. 1614. Oil on Canvas,
Growing up, a lot of the meat my family consumed came from hunting and fishing. I was (perhaps inadvertently) raised with the idea that my delicious venison burger was originally packaged as Bambi. The above painting was done in celebration of game hunting being re-opened in the Netherlands. While today we see a lot of dead animals piled on a table and a business man getting his pocket picked, someone seeing this image back in the 1600s they would see a table overflowing with delicious (and a business man getting his pocket picked...).

Today, most people are removed from a large portion of the butchering process. Bacon comes plastic wrapped in a Styrofoam tray, not a pig. Which explains why most people don't use the term "flesh" to describe meat. We are a little sensitive about where our steak comes from.

Which is interesting because we have become very desensitized to images of violence against actual humans. It always bothered me that in the first Matrix movie Neo blows away the security guards in the lobby. They weren't programs, they weren't even acting violently towards him, they were only doing their crappy entry level jobs and the heroes don't hesitate to put a bullet in their heads even though these are the people their revolution is supposed to be saving. The thing is, I've never heard anyone complain about that either.

But mention that milk is pumped out of the mammaries of a cow and suddenly everyone at the table is squirming a little bit. We live in strange times my friends. Strange times.

6 comments:

  1. And you are a strange kid; but I love you anyway.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe if SOMEONE didn't hang skinned animals upside-down in the garage I'd be more normal.

    Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that many people, especially those in large cities, are far removed from their food sources - whether it is where their milk is coming from, the part of an animal they are eating, or the growing methods used on their romaine.

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am willing to accept that civilization means that we live further and further from our food sources because it allows us to do things like care for the infirm, ill, disabled and handicapped because we are no longer hunter-gatherers and we can worry about the life of the individual rather than the survival of the group. It just makes some things weird sometimes. But I'd rather live in civilization than a hunter-gatherer society, despite everything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1st comment:Alana says its weird that i'll describe a cow as "tasty looking", because, to me, it is

    2nd comment: i like the way, in that painting, that the deer was just kind of dumped on its head. it would have really taken a bit of effort to actually balance it like that.

    william

    3rd comment:i spent a couple days off the internet and you start rapid firing off blog posts. maybe i should do so more often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1st comment: I think the pictures of the fish my dad catches he sends out in e-mail look delicious.

    2nd comment: The deer is hanging on a hook. If you click on the painting to make it larger, this becomes more obvious. It's hard to see in the size used for the post.

    3rd comment: I don't really count 2 extra posts in a week as rapid fire. Maybe you were gone longer than you thought?

    ReplyDelete