Monday, January 3, 2011

New Artist Crush Monday: Stephanie Rabbit

The Rabbit herself. Photo by Stephanie Trevino
This week's artist crush is one of my better friends, Stephanie Trevino. I met Stephanie in art school and have had the pleasure to watch her artistic voice evolve. Since I have known her, she has gone from photographing broken toys to buildings to people. Each leap from behind the camera has made her a stronger artist that I admit envy of. There are not many photographers who's work you can look at and see their individual finger prints all over.

Stephanie's photographs tend to offer a tantalizing glimpse into a story that you are almost sure there is more to, but are left to wonder or maybe even fill in the blanks yourself if you're feeling daring. I have always admired the dialogue she is able to establish not with words, but with pictures. Her work ranges from the artistic storytelling to the cataloging and journaling of her day-to-day life and I was hard pressed to choose from which of these categories I should select an image from (I choose the journal side of it, but it also features her photography-as-storytelling).

Recently, we collaborated on a project that seems to have some prospects of becoming on-going. When I model for her I am always excited to see what part of me she has captured with her lens. She always shows me such unique views of the world, both telling and mysterious, innocent and dark. I always find a showing of her work leaves me both satisfied and wanting more.

Links! (share my addiction...)
http://rabbitintheroom.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/stephsteph/

3 comments:

  1. Wow. Her work is so refreshing, yet dark in a way that I can't explain. I can see why you love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard not to love her work. The gallery I work at has a selection of her photos and they sell regularly to a wide variety of people. I think the fact that she is able to appeal to the young and old, male and female, artist and doctor is very telling of her talent.

    Although I admit it's a little weird to think that there are pictures of me hanging on the walls of people I've never met.

    ReplyDelete