Monday, November 15, 2010

New Artist Crush Mondays

I thought in my effort to post everyday for 30 days I'd start a feature I've been thinking about for awhile where I rave on about an artist I've found who inspires me. Mondays seemed as good a day as any to do this.

Today I thought I'd talk about Eric Fortune who works out of Columbus Ohio. He's an illustrator.

A Want to Believe by Eric Fortune


I think Stumble Upon was responsible for first introducing me to his work. I really liked it because it was something new. I had recently been flooded with images of "hauntingly beautiful" girls that were about as intellectually exciting to me as a wet paper towel. Fortune's images though, moved past creating an image of the perfect woman over and over again and explored different depths of emotion.

I think his work largely appeals to me because his characters seem like introverts. They are alone on his canvases and convey an expression of both loneliness and contentment. To me what makes his painting interesting is not the creation in interesting things to look at but a careful crafting of an emotional landscape communicated through the medium of visual art.

Check out more of his work for yourself: http://www.ericfortune.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment