Wednesday, November 24, 2010

So we make more pie...

In my family, the pie is the most important part of Thanksgiving. We love our pie, often substituting it for birthday cake and giving it a gifts to each other. Of course 3 pies weren't enough, mom, my brother and I made 3 more pies today. There are now 7 pies for tomorrow and 9 of us.

My mother, my brother, my grandma and I all use the same recipe for pie crust. I learned today that we do not make it the same way. I do not mix it as much as my counterparts because for a good deal of my life, I have been making pies in a muffin tin because it was the only thing I had to bake in. I didn't roll out my dough, I just pressed it into the cups. It makes it light and crispy because the flour fries in the fat when you bake it.

However, when you make a big, normal sized pie this way with thick crust around the edges to keep the mincemeat from boiling out like my mom did, the way I make pie dough causes it to melt off the edge. Slightly different then how my mom makes it.

I could tell she was disappointed about her pie so I grabbed my brother and we got whipping cream. Which, when you come from a pie loving family, makes everything better.

No comments:

Post a Comment