Monday, November 8, 2010

Pokemon

So last Christmas I learned from my brother that updated color versions of the first pokemon games had been released under the guise of "leaf green" and "fire red". I thought to myself how awesome, I had, at one time a copy of red, blue and gold. I never made it very far in gold because there were too many stats to deal with. Yes, I realize that it's a children's game and that I was (at the time) somewhere in high school and that I should have been able to figure it out, but my general approach to strategy games is to get really high level and bludgeon my way through battles that were obviously set up to employ artful simulated combat within the rules of the game. Pokemon gold over loaded my brain and I stopped playing after that.

Years later I would give away my games because I never played them anymore. Since Christmas though, I've been thinking about playing pokemon on and off because I've got a couple of friends now who play it and talk about it. So when I found a copy of leaf green for what amounted to pocket change, I picked it up.

I named him Tesla. Because I have the need to be considered the nerd of dorks apparently.


And now we get to the point of this incredibly long, boring and nerdy story. Within the game there are trainers you can battle, and they have names and an adjective related to their pokemon preferences. The trainers with the water type pokemon are swimmers. I happened to notice one of these characters was "Swimmer Doug", and I casually thought to myself, "ha ha. I knew a guy named Doug on the swim team." and was prepared to think nothing more of it. Then Swimmer David showed up, there was also a David on the swim team, then swimmer Darrin, who, as you might have guessed, was on the swim team.

I don't know if it's weirder that there are 3 coincidences or that I didn't notice it when I was playing the game when I was still on the swim team.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry Honey,
    I am trying to bite my tongue but after a few minutes of trying to distract myself from replying it hurts!
    But what does this have to do with the "my successes in the world" title?????
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. M. Night ShamalamadamascramaNovember 9, 2010 at 9:51 AM

    Creeeeepyyyyy. THEY'RE IN YOUR HEAD! And they come back every time you're on day/nyquil for more pokemon ideas

    ReplyDelete
  3. M. Night ShamalamadamascramaNovember 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM

    @ Anonymous "mom"

    Because one day she will catch 'em all and become the pokemaster. This will net her so much cash she'll be able to hire a band to follow her wherever she goes while playing this song:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXO3gKfOUN8

    ReplyDelete