Sunday, November 21, 2010

Pie: To Fail or not to Fail?

Apparently not easy as.

Thanksgiving is this week and my mom had asked me what I could bring. Not being the most stellar of cooks (see the "set microwave on fire" incident), I offered to bring the one dish I feel I excel at: Pie. She said she already had enough pies.

In a conversation with my brother, he insisted that I should in fact, bring pie because there is never enough. Then he asked if I would make grape pie. I told him I could give it a shot.

After some internet research, I learned there are two kinds of grape pie: Concord grape and green grape. Since the only way to get your hands on Concord grapes is to know someone who grows them, I aimed for the green grape version, and failing that, raisin pie.

Except there will be no grape or raisin pie. Not that I've made anyway. Because I screwed up at the most basic level of recipe following: the grocery shopping level.

It's not that I didn't have them on the list, or that I forgot them. Instead, I walked by a display of pears and was like "Hey, how about pears instead? Yeah. That sounds like a good idea." Now, I've gone of course with recipes before, but usually not this early on in the game.

Not pictured: Grapes


This set off a sort of cascade failure in my shopping trip. Never having made pear pie before, or heard of it I started formulating a recipe in my head of how you might make a pear pie. That recipe includes apple cider vinegar and smoked gruyere cheese.

Fortunately, after returning home and doing some more internet  research, what I have in mind is not impossible and I was able to find some foundation recipes to build my monstrosity off of.

This may be why mom told me I didn't need to bring pie.

5 comments:

  1. M. Night ShamalamadamascramaNovember 21, 2010 at 9:27 PM

    I'm rather terrified...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my defense, I have never made something completely inedible. Sometimes I even get lucky and make something delicious. You loved my Teenage Mutant Ninja soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. M. Night ShamalamadamascramaNovember 22, 2010 at 6:28 AM

    WHAT PLACE DOES CHEESE HAVE IN FRUIT PIE?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pear Pie with apple cider vinegar and Gruyere cheese... that actually sounds delicious. I would eat it over raisin pie, at least.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @damascrama There are a lot of dishes that involve cheese and fruit. They go very well together. I am not a completely crazy person.

    @working boy Raisin pie only sounds unappetizing, but is rather like mincemeat. It's a good winter pie for when you couldn't get fresh fruit. My creations on the other hand...well, sometimes they're good.

    ReplyDelete