Saturday, November 20, 2010

Solid

*Double post Saturday since my internet was being a poop head*

Friday's Random Word: Solid

First thing I thought of. I am a dork.
A friend of mine introduced me to the Metal Gear series via Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Which, while most people would say it was the worst game in the series, was totally awesome to someone who's previous game experience included killing Link in interesting and increasingly implausible ways and kamikaze missions on Rogue Squadron. (That would be me by the way)

I do not have an ounce of strategy in my body, as I have previously stated, my usual tactic is to be stronger and bludgeon my enemy to death with the nearest stick. (sadly, this is also my strategy in chess, making my stint in the chess club a short and bittersweet one). Metal Gear showed me that I do have one other talent however, I am a sneaky little ninja. I played through 3 times I was so fascinated by this new approach to game play. (I still can't make any sense of the storyline in that game though).

Which brings me to one of my favorite proverbs: Don't try harder, try smarter.

Metal Gear taught me that not every game had to be beaten by sheer force of will. This applies to a lot of problems actually. It's like a fly banging against a window until it dies of exhaustion or brain damage (do flies have brains or bundles of nerves?) when there's a door open two feet away. Sure, hard work and perseverance do pay off, but sometimes the solution is to be lazy. Think about it, a lazy man invented the washing machine and the dishwasher. He tried smarter, if he tried harder, well, I wouldn't be looking forward to Thanksgiving as much as I am right now. That's a lot of dishes.

4 comments:

  1. According to Wikipedia, all vertebrates have brains (not surprising), as well as most invertebrates (including insects). Flatworms are an example of an animal without a distinct brain (they don't even have a body cavity). But they don't really do much; they sort of just divide and steal nutrients from their host, like sophisticated sponges. And in fact, sea sponges don't have brains either. :)

    I guess to generalize, if it has to move around and navigate and stuff, it has a brain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, forgot this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain

    ReplyDelete
  3. You do not give yourself enough credit. The fact you are working in a gallery indicates you have far more of a strategic mind than most BFA's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anna: So my theoretical fly CAN die from theoretical blunt force trauma to the head. Awesome.

    @Rocco: Logically out-thinking a BFA is like having a footrace with an earthworm. Its cheating because the worm has no feet. The same holds true for heavy science fields. Logic is the defense God gave those of average intelligence. I would go so far as to say that a sure sign of intelligence is having a complete lack of logic.

    ReplyDelete